Epimedium, also called horny goat weed, grows as an ornamental herb in Asia and the Mediterranean. In Asia, its leaves have been used for treating fatigue and boosting sex drive for a long history since 16th century. Nowadays, the plant is a traditional Chinese medicine and is widely used as dietary supplement in western countries.
Icariin is a flavonoid glycoside compound derived from several species of plants in the Epimedium family, which are commonly known as Horny Goat Weed or Yin Yang Huo. Extracts from these plants are reputed to produce aphrodisiac effects, and are commonly used in Chinese herbal medicine to enhance erectile function, as well as for several other indications.
1. It is thought that icariin is likely to be the primary active component of Epimedium extracts, as it has been shown to share several mechanisms of action with compounds used in Western medicine to treat impotence and improve sexual function. In particular, icariin has been demonstrated to act as a PDE5 inhibitor and to enhance the production of bioactive nitric oxide,
2. Icariin can stimulate osteoblast activity in bone tissue which has been linked to a possible therapeutic role in the treatment of osteoporosis.
3. Icariin can also increase the number of kidney patients in T cells, lymphocyte transformation rate, antibody, antigen, and reticuloendothelial system phagocytic function of low, but drug treatment after kidney Epimedium, etc.
4. Icariin can affect different aspects of aging mechanisms. Such as the impact of cell passage, extending the growth period, regulating of the immune and endocrine system, improving metabolism and organ function.
5. It has a protective effect on vasopressin induced myocardial ischemia, with significant blood pressure.
If you have any further question or need a sample,Please do not hesitate to contact with me.